A look back at Surprise’s history on this week

By Independent Newsmedia

Here is a look at Surprise history through the years on this week, compiled from archives of Independent Newsmedia, Newspapers.com and the City of Surprise historical records:

1956

The nine-mile, 25-foot high McMicken Dam along the Beardsley Canal from Peoria to Grand avenues is dedicated. It costs the federal government $3 million. Its goal is to help protect Luke Air Force base from flooding at Tribly Wash. It’s named in honor of Kenneth B. McMicken, the vice president of Goodyear Farms. Sen. Carl Hayden is among the dignitaries in attendance.

1966

Mayor Harold Yingling and councilmen Curtis Ashworth and Wade Malone are facing a recall effort for their actions that resulted in the firing of Town Clerk Doyle S. Moore. Mr. Moore collapsed and died of a heart attack minutes after the council fired him last month.

1996

City formally dedicates the $6 million South Wastewater Reclamation Facility on North 136th Avenue, which opened in August 1995. Groundbreaking also begins on the plants’ $8.5 million expansion to quadruple its size.

1998

City approves plans to convert River Boat Acres on Bell Road into a bingo parlor.

2000

Maricopa County voters pass Proposition 302, bringing money to sports stadiums across the Valley, including what will become Surprise Stadium. The tax money will pay for 2/3 of the $45 million project that will house the Texas Rangers and Kansas City Royals.

2006

Voters approve a $190 million bond for the Dysart Unified School District. Superintendent Mark Maksimowicz tells parents in a letter it was the “most important bond issue in the recent history of our district.”

Latest posts