There are many inhabitants on the Island of Misfit Toys but none cost $128 million. That’s where Carson Wentz found himself after rookie Jalen Hurts replaced the benched franchise quarterback and then led the Philadelphia Eagles to an upset 24-21 win over the New Orleans Saints.
The win snapped the Saints’ nine-game winning streak and put an end to the Eagles’ four-game losing skid. It also kept the Birds’ slim chances for an NFC East crown alive.
On Monday, head coach Doug Pederson, to the surprise of no one, named Hurts the Week 15 starter when the Eagles (4-8-1) visit the Arizona Cardinals (7-6).
Pennsylvania sports betting apps opened with the Eagles as 6.5-point underdogs versus the Cardinals, with the total points line at 48.5.
Saints one of most-lopsided Week 14 sides
The Wentz-led Eagles were bad for bettors, going 4-8 ATS. Hurts won his first career start and the Eagles – who were big underdogs – also covered the spread.
Green Bay, Kansas City and New Orleans had the most lopsided betting percentages as of Sunday morning at FanDuel Sportsbook. Betting splits at FanDuel for Eagles vs. Saints:
- 84% of the money was on the Saints (-7.5) to cover the spread.
- 65% of the money was on the Saints (-360) moneyline
- 72% of the money was on the UNDER (42.5)
At BetRivers, the Eagles were backed by just 8% of the ML handle and 20% of the spread handle.
Philadelphia Eagles vs. Arizona Cardinals odds
|New Orleans Saints||+6.5 (-110)||+220||O 48.5 (-109)|
|Philadelphia Eagles||-6.5 (-110)||-278||U 48.5 (-112)|
Philadelphia Eagles vs. Arizona Cardinals betting preview
Facing the toughest defense in the league, Hurts sparked the offense throwing for 167 yards and added 106 rushing yards. Running back Miles Sanders rushed for 115 yards and 2 touchdowns. It was the first time that a pair of Eagles gained 100 rushing yards in the same game since 2013. Sanders’ 82-yard touchdown run was his third run of at least 74 yards this season.
The Eagles’ defense stepped up, too. Struggling to force turnovers all season, they had an interception and forced a fumble. However, the defense suffered a big loss to their secondary. Safety Rodney McLeod suffered a torn ACL and is out for the season. Also, cornerback Darius Slay has a head injury and is in concussion protocol.
In Week 14, the Cardinals traveled to East Rutherford and easily handled the New York Giants en route to a 26-7 win. Former Temple University star Haason Reddick recorded a franchise-record five sacks and three forced fumbles to lead the Cardinals to the win which put them back into a playoff spot and ended a three-game losing streak.
Philadelphia Eagles vs. Arizona Cardinals betting stats and info from DraftKings:
- The Eagles are 5-8 ATS; the Cardinals are 6-7 ATS.
- Five of the Eagles’ 13 games have hit the over; four for the Cardinals.
- The Cardinals have a 70% implied win probability.
- Each of the Cardinals’ last nine games against NFC East opponents have gone UNDER the total points line.
- The Eagles have lost each of their last four road games.
- The Cardinals have failed to cover the spread in five of their last six games.
Week 15 promos at PA sportsbook apps
- Beat the Spread Bonus: $1 bonus for every point your team beats the spread by.
- Pigskin Parlay: Instant 50% cash boost when creating an eight-team parlay.
- Risk-Free $1,000 bet for new users: New users at FanDuel can get up to a $1,000 free bet. Register, make a deposit, and place a wager on the FanDuel sportsbook app. Then, if the first wager loses, FanDuel will refund losses in the form of a free bet up to $1,000.
BetRivers Free NFL Profit Boost every week:
- Risk-free $500 bet: Place your first bet, and if it loses, the Fox Bet sportsbook app will match it as a free bet up to $500.
- $1 bet pays $50: New users only. $1 bet pays $50 in free bets if the Eagles (or Steelers) score.
Philadelphia Eagles 2020 odds tracker
(Odds via FanDuel Sportsbook)
|Sept. 1, 2020||Oct. 16 (Week 6)||Oct. 20 (Week 7)||Oct. 28 (Week 8)||Nov. 3 (Week 9)||Nov. 10 (Week 10)||Nov. 17 (Week 11)||Nov. 24 (Week 12)||Dec. 1 (Week 13)||Dec. 8 (Week 14)||Dec. 15 (Week 15)|
Complete Week 15 NFL Odds at PA Sportsbooks
Lead image credit: AP Photo/Chris Szagola